In today’s world, online credit card processing has become a necessity for businesses looking to sell their products or services online. It is a convenient way for customers to pay for their purchases and a secure way for businesses to receive payments.
The majority of us use credit cards, both in real stores and on e-commerce platforms. However, people are aware of how credit cards operate or the steps necessary to transfer money from their account to a merchant’s. In this blog, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to implement online credit card processing on your website using 5 Star Processing, an online payment gateway.
A variety of transactions are involved in credit card processing. These are described below:
- Pre-authorization transactions: During a preauth, the credit card’s authenticity is confirmed. Preauth often costs $1 or less.
- Transactions requiring post-authorization: In these transactions, customers place an order, and the item is dispatched afterward. At the moment of the order, a cardholder is put on the customer’s card. After the order has been sent, the merchant applies a postauth to transfer the payments, releasing the card hold in the process.
- Credit transaction: The transfer of money from the merchant’s account to the customer is known as a credit transaction.
- Sale transaction: A sale transaction occurs when a customer makes a purchase and transfers money from their account to the merchant’s using a credit or debit card.
- Chargeback transaction: When a customer disputes a charge made to her card, the transaction is known as a chargeback. While the disagreement is being addressed, the bank takes the money out of the merchant’s account and deposits it in the customer’s account. The retailer has a few days to make their case.
The money is returned to the merchant if they can convince the bank with sufficient proof. Due to the time and labor needed, banks charge the merchant for each chargeback.
A step-by-step guide to implementing online credit card processing on your website by using 5 Star Processing:
Step 1: Choose a Payment Gateway
The first step in implementing online credit card processing is to choose a payment gateway. A payment gateway is a service that processes credit card transactions between the customer and the merchant to approve online payments. There are many payment gateways available. But we recommend using 5 Star Processing as it is a reliable and secure payment gateway with competitive pricing.
Step 2: Set Up Your Account
Once you have chosen a payment gateway, you will need to set up an account with it. Depending on the payment gateway you use, the account setup procedure may change. However, with 5 Star Processing, the process is very simple. You will need to provide basic information about your business, such as your business name, address, and tax identification number.
Step 3: Connect your payment processor to your website
After setting up your account, you will need to connect your payment gateway to your website. You can accomplish this by including a payment form or button on your website. The payment button or form will allow customers to enter their credit card information and submit payment for their purchase. You can either create your payment button or form, or you can use the pre-made templates provided by 5 Star Processing.
Step 4: Test Your Payment Gateway
Before going live with your online credit card processing, it is important to test your payment gateway. Make sure that everything is working perfectly and that customers can make payments without any issues. You can test your payment gateway by making a small transaction using a test credit card number provided by your payment gateway. This will allow you to see how the payment process works from start to finish.
Step 5: Go Live
Once you have tested your payment gateway and determined that everything is working as intended. You can go live with your online credit card processing. This means that your customers can use their credit cards for legitimate transactions on your website. To protect your customers’ data, you need to make sure that your website is secure and that all the necessary security measures are in place.
All in all, implementing online credit card processing on your website is essential. If you want to sell your products or services online. By following the step-by-step guide in this blog, you can easily set up online credit card processing on your website with 5 Star Processing, a reliable and secure payment gateway. With online credit card processing, you can increase sales, improve customer satisfaction, and take your business to the next level.